Family Dentistry: Understanding The Difference and Why It’s Important
Hiring a family dentistry professional is among the best decisions you can make for your family. Although one may choose to see a random dentist whenever a need arises, having a personal dentist is more beneficial and convenient for everyone. Among other benefits, you get to pick a dentist everyone in the family is comfortable with. This makes it easier for everyone, especially the young ones, to create a relationship with the dentist. This takes care of the phobia many people/children have towards dentists and dental clinics. Experts also recommend involving everyone in the family (especially the children) when deciding on the best candidate for the job.
Selecting a True Family Dentistry Clinic
1. Schedule dental appointments for the entire family: Having a family dentist gives you the luxury to schedule dental appointments for everyone in the family with just one phone call. Whether your teenage daughter needs braces or the last born needs his teeth checked for malocclusions and irregularities, your family dentistry practitioner will be able to do that in one session. If anyone needs an oral surgery, a tooth extracted, or you need dentures, the family dentist will be able to handle it all. This saves the valuable time you would have spent hopping from one dental clinic to the other, in search for an experienced dentist.
2. Convenience and flexibility: With many people leading busy lives, finding time to see a dentist during regular working hours can be tricky for most parents. Finding a dentist working during odd hours is not only tricky but also costs a fortune. Family dentistry practices are however flexible enough to accommodate various dental needs whenever they arise. Some of the best dentists in the industry choose to bring some of these services to your home. Small yet important dental services such as regular dental checkups and oral hygiene advice can be done at your home. In the case of an emergency, you can contact the dentist and have the issue attended to without any delay.
3. Access to a variety of family dentistry services: Having a family dentist at your disposal gives all family members access to a broad range of dental services. Some of the additional services available include cosmetic dentistry, bonding, dental implants, regular teeth cleaning, orthodontics, and pediatric dentistry. This also means that dental conditions will be identified and treated before they can cause any harm. Everyone including the toddler gets to know how they can take care of their teeth to prevent plaque and tooth cavities.
Services to Look for When Shopping for A Family Dentistry Practice
Knowing just what to look for when interviewing family dentistry professionals is important as well. The best candidate for your family’s dental health should offer services such as:
- Teeth cleaning and dental hygiene
- Gum health (Periodontics) and root canals (endodontics)
- Teeth whitening, braces, tooth bonding, dental implants, and other cosmetic improvements
- Dentures and dental bridges
- Sedation dentistry procedures for your family’s maximum comfort
Considering your family’s dental needs is the first step to hiring the right family dentistry professional. Looking into several candidates is considerably the best way to find the best care for your family. Some of the important factors to consider when looking for the right candidate include:
- Training, licensing and certification: While all dentists are required to attend formal training on the same, it’s important that you ask for proof before signing any contract. In addition to training, the family dentistry practice should be a member of the dental association. Hiring a licensed family dentist protects you from quacks and untrained individuals marauding as dentists.
- Experience: The right family dentistry professional for you needs to have been in active practice for at least 3 years to qualify for this position. A good family dentist should be able to perform most dental procedures skillfully. Hiring an experienced dentist is the only way to ensure your family’s safety, and get value for your money.
- Services offered: Experience in general dentistry isn’t enough for one to qualify to be a family dentist. He/she should be able to provide additional family dentistry services such as cosmetic dentistry, restorative dentistry, orthodontics, and sedation dentistry.
- Ability to mingle with children: Your kid’s well-being is the first thing you should consider when looking for a personal dentist. You, therefore, should find someone that relates well with children, and that your children will be comfortable with.
As long as a family dentistry professional can connect well with entire family, and meets all the professional qualifications required, he/she is the best candidate for the job. As mentioned earlier, it’s obviously important to consult with the rest of the family before making your final decision.